Monday, March 10, 2014

God Bless the American Embassy

For the most part my time abroad has been smooth sailing. My only setbacks have been minor and fairly entertaining.

Last Thursday was quite the outlier though. In all of the excitement of my boyfriend's visit (and his gift of 3 packages of novelty Oreos you can't buy here in Belgium), I lost my focus and my purse. No wallet, no keys, no iPhone, no nothing. I did my best to stay calm as we tried to track it down, but the search attempt felt like a lost cause. Even though I believe everything happens for a reason, this mistake was frustrating, inconvenient and expensive. It was hard to find the silver lining.

Life got a whole lot sunnier on Friday. I was notified my purse and all of its contents were safe and sound at the U.S. embassy. Hallelujah! I still can't believe how fortunate I am.

Someone found my purse, chose not to steal anything from it and dropped it off at the embassy. If that doesn't restore your faith in humanity I don't know what will.

I'm also extremely grateful I didn't have to deal with this alone. If you ever lose anything of value in a foreign country call on Nathan Pigott for help. He is level-headed, understanding and encouraging. So here's a big thanks to him as well!

And if you need evidence that I have my life back in order, I made it Paris today to visit my cousin and her husband. They surprised me with dinner in the Eiffel Tower. What a treat! Tomorrow we take on Disneyland Paris! Life is good and I promise to try to never lose anything ever again.


3 comments:

  1. Amazing stories are only amazing because someone skillfully, or artfully, or heartfully shares them. Keep 'em comin' Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I had to remove my previous comment due to a grammatical error but I wanted to say that I'm glad everything worked out! Also, I hope your gift included some of the Marshmallow Crisp Oreos. If not, I will need to buy a pack to store until your arrival back in the USA. They are totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete